Friday, August 12, 2016

Confidence is Key: 3 Ways to Learn Keep Successful

Found on New York Times
http://nyti.ms/2bZUw75
   Since the day we moved into our apartment, I've been clocking in pool time daily. It's a great way to pass the time while I'm waiting for the sauna to heat up. 

   Through daily practice and games I've played with my girlfriend and neighbors. I have gotten much better. I studied the more advanced players on how they shot and what decisions they made during the game. I'm proud at what I have accomplished, but for some reason I do horrible in certain games. The shots that I miss are ones I've sank time and time again. What's going on with me?

   I realized today what the problem was. It's an obstacle that I've faced multiple times in my life.

   When I wasn't in the zone, I would look at the ball I wanted to hit multiple times. Lining up the shot again and again in my head. I would second-guess myself when I shot and miss the pocket. Now I am unsure of myself and miss the next few shots. I'm in a funk until I make an easy pocket to gain back my composure.

   I lost my confidence. I noticed that when I didn't overthink the shot and just went with my instinct, the ball went in 9 times out of 10. I'd look at the desired ball I wanted to sink, line up the shot, look down at the cue ball once for aim and fired; looking at that desired ball all the way through the motion until it ricocheted off the cue ball and fell into the chosen pocket. 
   This ideology carries over to any area you can think of. To successfully learn anything you need to take these steps:
  1. Reach out to people in your industry to work under. Study everything they do when the pressure is on and off.
  2. Practice that skill EVERY DAY.
  3. Once you have gained the knowledge to at least be an influencer in the field, keep the confidence.
   Almost every time you make an error, it's because you have lost that confidence. You have second guessed yourself. Take a step back and reflect on what you are doing. Instead getting down about it, psyche yourself up. You're amazing at the task and will accomplish it with ease. 

   Now that you have that thought in your head, go back at it. You won't make that mistake if you remember how good you are. You put in the time and energy. Don't let one lapse of concentration take you out. Believe and win.    




   Brad Slaughter is a Co-Owner of Try-Fun Fitness & Training, Writer for Inside My Inquisitive Mind, Producer, Entrepreneur and trained in Social Media Marketing By Corsera

   Follow him on 

Twitter - @bradslaughter89

 or Facebook - @OfficialBradSlaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment