Sunday, July 24, 2016

Looking Through Different Eyes

Flip Flop Fest T-shirt with caricature drawling from Kool Skull
Drawing by Kool Skull
https://www.facebook.com/koolskull?fref=ts

Looking Through Different Eyes

   For years I have pondered about what another person's perception of me was. Not in a need for acceptance way, but just curious about what they see. You can look in the mirror or in pictures and see yourself from an outside perspective, but not in the day to day when nobody is filming and you cannot see yourself. 



   Yesterday I was able to physically see the way someone perceived me. My girlfriend and I went to an annual party called Flip Flop Fest. It's an awesome competition with lots of drink, food, activities to build your own flip flops, and a runway show with prizes. 

   Building on what I wrote about yesterday, I wanted to shake hands with as many people as I could and get to know something about each of them. We were at the party for about 6 hours and I was able to meet and learn from many aspiring artists, musicians and people who wouldn't ever work the industry. This one particular story involves a really interesting guy named Kool Skull, and his drawing of me.

   A while into the party my girlfriend and I walked into one of the many apartments that line the alley. We ran into a few people at the start of the kitchen and this guy catches my eye. He had a cool vibe about him and we started talking. Kool Skull showed me his awesome graphic drawings and talked about some of his dreams and goals. After one conversation flowed into the next, he took out a pen and paper. As we were talking he would study my face and scribble here and there. By the time he had to go 15 minutes later he handed me the picture he drew inside a clear sleeve. I was thrilled to see he was drawing me. 

   I showed my girlfriend and a few people surrounding me the picture with pride. I love gifts like these. A few people looked at it and then at me and said, "It kind of looks like you". 

   It blows me away sometimes at how different each person sees the world and the people, places and things that inhabit it. I like the picture very much and I think it looks very much like me, in the way Kool Skull saw me. The ones who disagree see me a different way. 

   Just makes you think. If you aren't the person you see in the mirror, then what do you look like? Who are you? You're not just the person you tell yourself you are, you are the person other people see too. Are those different?  



     Brad Slaughter is a Co-Owner of Try-Fun Fitness & Training, Writer for Inside My Inquisitive Mind, Producer, Entrepreneur and trained in Social Media Marketing By Corsera

   Follow him on


Twitter- @bradslaughter89                                                                                              or Facebook - @OfficialBradSlaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment